Space Heater Safety Tips
Space heater fires are the leading cause of home fire deaths. The majority of heating equipment fires occurs in December, January, and February. To help keep our community safe, we reached out to the Maryland Heights Fire Protection District for some space heater safety tips. Fire Marshal/Deputy Chief Dennis Drozkowski shared the following list.
- Look for heaters with auto shut-off safety features.
- Keep at least three feet of clearance around the heater.
- Place the heater on a flat surface to reduce the risk of tipping.
- Keep children and pets away from the heater.
- Do not use an extension cord.
- Do not leave a heater unattended.
- Turn the heater off before going to bed.
- Have working smoke and carbon monoxide detectors.
- Have an extinguisher in the house.
- Always use the right kind of fuel, specified by the manufacturer, for fuel burning space heaters.
- Make sure to service fuel heaters to assure clean burning.
Source: Maryland Heights Fire Protection District