The Division of Building and Code Enforcement manages the building permit process, the occupancy permit program and the inspections associated with each. If you have any questions about your project and our codes, or you need to schedule an inspection, please contact (314) 291-6550.
What projects require a permit?
- Any new construction
- Alterations to existing structures
- Commercial and residential projects, both interior and exterior work
- The City also issues permits for
- Fire sprinkler/suppression systems
- Fire alarm systems
- Card access system installations
- Emergency generator installations.
What are the City's building code requirements?
- The City grants permits based on the 2015 International Building Code.
- These code requirements are included in our municipal building code.
Why do we require inspections?
- Inspections helps insure quality construction in the City.
- Every building permit issued requires that the necessary inspections be obtained at the proper stage of the project.
- While the structural and sprinkler aspects of building are covered locally, St. Louis County issues and inspects for mechanical, electrical and plumbing permits.
How to acquire a permit from the area fire districts?
- There are four fire districts within Maryland Heights; some of them issue building permits and perform inspections. It is the responsibility of the applicant to ascertain the fire district and determine.
- When you apply for a building permit through the City of Maryland Heights, two sets of approved drawings are returned to the applicant with the building permit and should be used to apply to those fire districts that require permits. The districts are as follows:
- Maryland Heights Fire District
- (314) 298-4400,
- 2600 Schuetz Road, Maryland Heights, MO 63043
- Creve Coeur Fire District
- (314) 432-5570
- 11221 Olive Blvd., St. Louis, MO 63141
- Pattonville Fire District
- (314) 739-3118
- 13900 St. Charles Rock Road, Bridgeton, MO 63044
- Monarch Fire District
- (314) 514-0900,
- 13725 Olive Street, Chesterfield, MO 63017
- Maryland Heights Fire District
Applying for a Building Permit
Application for a building permit may be made at Maryland Heights Government Center, 11911 Dorsett Road, Maryland Heights, MO, 63043. The permit application can be downloaded here or is available in the front lobby of the Government Center. Applications must be accompanied by THREE sets of drawings and the minimum application fee of $100 for a new single family dwelling, $50 for residential additions, alterations and deck permits, $200 for commercial projects and $200 for a sprinkler permit.
Construction drawings for commercial projects must be prepared by a design professional registered in the State of Missouri. All drawings must bear the original seal and signature of an architect and/or engineer registered in the State of Missouri.
Drawings for new single family or multi-family residences must be prepared by a design professional registered in the State of Missouri. All drawings must bear the original seal and signature of an architect and/or engineer registered in the State of Missouri.
In the majority of instances, construction plans for additions, interior renovations, decks, basement finishes, etc. are not required to be designed by a registered design professional. The plans must clearly indicate the work which is to be performed and contain detailed information regarding all components of the project.
St. Louis County: Application must be made to St. Louis County, www.stlouisco.com, for all mechanical, electrical and/or plumbing work.
PLEASE NOTE: THE PROJECT MAY NOT BEGIN UNTIL ALL REQUIRED PERMITS ARE APPROVED AND FEES PAID. APPROVED CONSTRUCTION DOCUMENTS AND PERMIT CARDS MUST BE KEPT ON THE JOB SITE.
Building Permit Inspections
At the time the applicant obtains the permit from City Hall, s/he will be provided with a “Conditions of Permit” form, which s/he will be required to sign as acknowledgment of the required inspections. The type of inspections needed for their particular job will be listed on the form.
A busy inspection schedule necessitates advanced notice for inspections. Please schedule inspections at least 24 hours prior to the desired inspection date. Our staff will try their best to accommodate your scheduling needs, but an inspection within 24 hours of calling is NOT guaranteed. An inspection can be scheduled by calling (314) 291-6550. We can schedule out weeks in advance, so call us to set up an inspection once you know your time frame.