At the Maryland Heights Parks and Recreation Department, we know that it's important to have a good balance between mind and body. We offer a variety of programs that feed your creative minds. We respect arts in every format and we try to offer a multitude of programs for both performance and fine arts.
- Creative Arts Programs: Try out a new art form at an affordable price! We offer dance classes for all ages, painting classes and more. Browse through our class offerings by visiting www.marylandheights/com/signup.
- Maryland Heights Theater: Our community theater is open to actors, singers and dancers of any experience level. If you are interested in learning more, , please contact Ashley at email@example.com.
- Summer Concert Series: Each month during the summer, we host an outdoor concert in one of ouur city parks, featuring local bands. Visit www.marylandheights.com/upcoming to learn more.
- Visual Arts Series: Part of an ongoing series, you can visit the Community Center and the Government Center lobbies during business hours to view professional works from artist in your own community, free of charge.
(more info below).
Maryland Heights Cultural Arts Commission Call to Artists 2020
Exhibitions in City Facilities:
The City of Maryland Heights Cultural Art Commission is now accepting proposals for exhibitions in our City Facilities. Exhibitions are juried and must meet the following criteria:
- All entries must be the original, creative work executed by the artist. Not eligible for entry are mass-produced items, items made in “workrooms” and any items made from commercial kits or molds. Display space accommodates 2D framed or gallery wrapped wall art. No sculpture, video or ceiling suspended work will be accepted (see Display Details below for more information).
- All artists interested in displaying their work must submit an application via the Maryland Heights City website. The process includes uploading digital images of artwork to be considered. Click here to apply.
- Accepted artists agree to assume the responsibility for delivery, installation and removal of artwork to and from City of Maryland Heights. (See below for additional display details.) All artwork MUST remain up until the end of the contracted period.
- For insurance purposes, accepted artists will be required to submit an assessed value and image for each piece of artwork to be displayed.
- Accepted artists agree to facilitate promotion of the displays which may include being filmed, participation in press interviews, documentaries, and/or film/photo releases of the artist or artwork, and the inclusion of said images in any press releases, articles or other publications as seen fit by the show curators.
- Artist is responsible for the sale of any artwork. (see Sales & Commission below for more information)
- All facilities are public spaces. The City has the right to revoke unsuitable art for public viewing. City of Maryland Heights reserves the right to display artwork at its sole discretion.
Display space accommodates wall art. The dimensions of the display areas are as follows:
- Maryland Heights Community Center Hallway: 10 feet high by 25 feet long
- Government Center Lobby Wall #1: 10 feet high by 8.5 feet long
- Government Center Lobby Wall #2: 10 feet high by 12.75 feet long
- Government Center Lobby Wall #3: 10 feet high by 16 feet long
- No sculpture, video or ceiling suspended work will be accepted.
- 2D artwork must be framed and ready for hanging (no saw tooth hangers, please).
- Gallery wrapped canvases do not need to be framed, however all other artwork must be framed. City facilities use the Arkawa hanging system.
- The artist is required to attach a card next to each piece including: artist name, medium, size and the name of the artwork. Prices are not allowed to be listed on name cards.
Sales & Commission Details:
- The City of Maryland Heights does not charge a commission on sales made during the exhibition. The artist is required to attach a card next to each piece including: artist name, medium, size and the name of the artwork. Prices are not allowed to be listed on name cards.
- Artists may provide business cards and/or a sales sheet listing each piece and its price which will be kept at the front desk, and shared with potential buyers upon request. Potential buyers will be provided information to contact the artist directly. Artists will retain 100% of sales.