Boards and Commissions
The city's boards, commissions and committees provide important citizen input into the governance of our city. Appointments are made to these bodies by the Mayor with the consent of the City Council. For more information, fill out the Board Interest Form or contact the City Clerk's office at (314) 738-2211.
Recent boards and commissions minutes are available here.
- Beautification Commission: Promotes the aesthetics of streets, buildings, and parks of Maryland Heights.
- Board of Adjustment: Hears zoning appeals and decides if variances from the Zoning Code are warranted.
- Board of Building Code Appeals: Hears the cases of residential and commercial parties who want to contradict the city's Building Code. Applicants must be an architect, engineer or involved in the construction industry.
- Board of Police Commissioners: Composes lists of candidates eligible for appointment or promotion of sworn police officers and resolves appeals from suspensions or terminations of sworn officers.
- Cultural Arts Commission: Promotes the fine arts in Maryland Heights through sponsorship and support of fairs, festivals, concerts, shows and other activities.
- Human Rights Commission: Creates equality and eliminates discriminatory policies in housing practices.
- Industrial Development Authority: Reviews, discusses, and recommends commercial and industrial activities that are considered beneficial to the community's economic growth.
- Parks and Recreation Advisory Commission: Aims to enhance leisure time, facilitate access to recreational facilities, and offer a balanced mixture of social, cultural and educational opportunities to both residents and businesses.
- Planning and Zoning Commission: Recommends how city land should be used. The committee's primary functions are to prepare and adopt a Comprehensive Plan and to review applications for land use and development.
- Stormwater Advisory Committee: Oversees a series of projects such as erosion, bank stabilization and localized flooding problems.
- Traffic Commission: Serves as an advisory team to the City Council in matters of traffic regulations, parking restrictions and road sign placement.