The Municipal Court serves to ensure that the day-to-day operation of the judicial branch of city government is carried out in a professional and efficient manner. The Judge is appointed by the Mayor with the consent of the City Council, and serves on a part-time basis. The Court tries matters such as violations of traffic code, maintenance code and other ordinances.
In order to provide for the efficient collection of fines and costs assessed by the municipal court, the city has established the Violation Bureau. The Court Administrator operates this bureau and administers the day-to-day record keeping functions of the court.
Message from the Municipal Court
You have been summoned to come to court on the date shown on your ticket.
You may plead not guilty on the court date and a later trial date will be set.
You may enter a guilty plea in one of three ways:
- For most charges, you may plead guilty and pay your fine by mail.
- You may come to the court to pay your fine during normal business hours (9:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.).
- You may come to the court on court night.
If you plead guilty at court, you will be given a future payment due date if you cannot pay on the day of court.
If you prefer to plead guilty, but you DO NOT have the funds to pay your ticket, you MUST come to court on the court date shown on your ticket. You WILL NOT be arrested for not having the necessary funds to pay your fine.
If you DO NOT come to court when summoned to do so, you are subject to a warrant being issued for your arrest.
Court dates and trial docket dates are set in general as the following (although the schedule may change to accommodate holidays or other conflicts):
- Sentencing dockets are held on the second Monday of the month.
- Code enforcement dockets are held on the first Thursday of the month.
- Trials are held on the fourth Monday of the month.
- Traffic court and ordinance violations are generally held on the second and fourth Thursday of the month.
The Violations Bureau is open for payments from 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday. On court dates, payments are accepted until noon.
Anyone with questions concerning the Municipal Court may contact the Court Administrator at email@example.com or call (314) 291-6036
CLICK HERE TO PAY YOUR TICKET ONLINE