Flash Flooding Updates and FAQ - 7/26/22

With the flash flooding that occurred overnight on 7/26/22, we’ve compiled a FAQ to questions that we’ve been receiving:

What roads are flooded? 
There are currently several roads that were at one point flooded but the water has since receded. As of right now, please avoid the area of Creve Coeur Mill Rd. and 141 and Marine Ave. near Creve Coeur Park. Our crews are currently out inspecting our roads, but it’s important to remember that flash flooding can happen in an instant. Please be aware of your surroundings. 

If you come across a road that is covered in water, TURN AROUND; DON’T DROWN. In some areas, the water reached nearly 8’ deep. Never, never, NEVER drive through a street that is covered in water. Turn around and find another route. 

Both Dogport and Aquaport will be closed due to flood damage until further notice.

There is water in my basement. What do I do?
The first thing you need to determine is if your electric panel is affected. If you cannot get to your electric panel or do not know where it is and you have an excess of water in your home, call 9-1-1 and the Fire Department will be dispatched to your address to perform a utility shut-off. 

If there is water around any of your appliances (furnace, water heater, etc.), you will want to call out a licensed contractor to inspect them. Call your home owner’s insurance to start a claim. 

Time is of the essence with water damage. A restoration company will be able to assist with removing water from your home. All electrical, mechanical, and plumbing permits now come through the City of Maryland Heights (formally St. Louis County), so contact us at (314) 291-6550 to start this process. 

What if I suspect foundation damage?
Today, we are currently out assisting residents in emergency situations. However, if you suspect that your foundation was damaged during the flash flooding, first and foremost - call your insurance company. Second, get the water out. We are unable to perform any inspections if there is still standing water. Once you are dried out, please call us at (314) 291-6550 and we will schedule a building inspector to check your property.

What do I do if I have damage to my vehicle?
Contact your car insurance company to start a claim. Remember that only one foot of moving water is enough to sweep away your vehicle. 

Floods are the most common natural disaster in the United States and the damage can be absolutely devastating. The Maryland Heights Community Center is currently available as an emergency shelter for those who have been displaced due to flood damage.

Dogport1 newsletter size - Copy