Make Safety a Priority on Halloween!
This year, Halloween falls on a Sunday, which means there is plenty of time to plan your costumes, put up decorations, stock up on candy and end the weekend with a fun and enjoyable time. When planning this year's festivities, please stay safe by following the tips below:
- Costumes should not restrict movement or motion
- Opt for brightly colored costumes
- Wear reflective tape or use glow sticks to increase visibility
- Use flame-resistant accessories and costumes.
- Use face paints instead of masks
- Wear comfortable shoes
- Dress for the weather
- Go with a group of friends and have at least 1 person with a cell phone and flashlight
- Set a time for when everyone in the group needs to return to a designated meeting place
- Know your route for the night
- Do not use shortcuts through alleys or back yards
- Stick to sidewalks and look both ways before crossing the street
- If there is no sidewalk, say on the left-hand side of the road facing traffic
- Walk - DO NOT run
- DO NOT enter anyone's house
- Only approach houses that have the lights on
- Inspect all candy before any consumption.
- Throw away any candy that is opened.
- DO NOT take any homemade or unwrapped treats.
- Watch for children walking on roadways.
- Enter and exit driveways carefully.
- Drive SLOWLY through residential areas.
- Discourage new, inexperienced drivers from driving on Halloween.
- Please do not steal Halloween decorations.